Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Getting Involved in Ministry/Discovering Spiritual Gifts

I’ve tried to find my ministry niche at my church for many years. When I first started going to church, the church was reading the Purpose Driven Life. There is a whole section on figuring out your spiritual gifts. I filled out questionnaires and read books all to discover that I couldn’t really figure out what my gifts were. I was sure I had none. I was a baby Christian with nowhere to serve. Looking back, I now know I could’ve served anywhere or everywhere and figured things out from there. Unfortunately, I was looking for the perfect fit.

One of our pastors spent a lot of time with me trying to help me figure things out. He asked me if I put aside any worries about my limitations, the logistics, etc, what would I want to do? I wanted to start a singles ministry. The church had an unofficial one. I was told that they preferred a husband and wife team to lead the singles group so as to avoid any dating drama, but still I was invited to meet with the unofficial single’s group leader to see if we could pull something together, and also to try to find a team to help out and people interested in joining. I really didn’t know anyone and I have to say, I dropped the ball. I’m an introvert and the idea of wrangling ministry leaders and members scared the hell out of me.

Next, I tried Children’s Ministry. I went through the fingerprinting process and started working in the nursery. It was a decent fit as I like babies. But then I got rubbed the wrong way. I apparently received a call after I went to sleep one Saturday night (my phone registered the time as 11:30 p.m.) telling me that I was needed the next morning to work in the nursery even though I wasn’t scheduled. I had plans to go out of town. I couldn’t get a hold of the leader the next morning and basically spent the day feeling bad and stressing that everyone thought I was a flake. Instead of being gracious and moving forward, I dropped out of the ministry.

Fast forward a few years...

I joined the church’s ministry that visits folks in convalescent hospitals. I loved it! But then my back gave out. I loved spending time with the residents but found myself bending to talk to them or hold hands, etc. Just standing and moving from room to room aggravated my back. Again, I stopped ministry.

Two surgeries later...


I underwent a few surgeries but still have issues and find that I can’t do the things I want to.  My church started a Ministry Launch team and I asked if we could have a “card” ministry. I found out we already had one and I was invited to join. I was thrilled as I love to write (not that you could tell...). For about a year I have been writing notes to members of the congregation letting them know our prayer team prays for their requests each week. I love that I can put my own spin on the cards. I look up relevant scripture verses to write at the top of the cards and then literally write a prayer to the person. I’m horrible at praying out loud or in front of others, but I love to write prayers. Our ministry also does cards for schools to let them know we pray for them during these difficult times. I think this is my favorite part of the ministry.

Although I loved my card ministry, I still felt that there was more I was supposed to be doing. I still didn’t know what, though. My church started a Monday night service and I really felt that I was supposed to somehow be a part of it. Yet I let fear overtake me. It’s not like I knew how to actually DO anything.

One Sunday I wasn’t able to make it to church so my husband and I decided to check out the Monday service. If you don’t know Shoreline, let me tell you, it is huge. There are hundreds of people at the three Sunday services. You can be completely anonymous if you want to. I always had been. The Monday service was different.

There were about 50 people at the service, if even. It was very intimate, with lights dim. Our lead pastor came over and talked to us. It was actually the first time I had officially met him although I felt like I’d known him for years because he is so engaging. Out bulletin contained a flyer asking if anyone would like to help out for Monday services. It listed the different areas in which help was needed. You could check off a box and return it during the offering. All during the service I felt like I was being nudged to fill it out. I felt like God was saying, “Hello, even if you flop, there are only fifty people here to see it.” I had always thought about applying to be a lyrics operator. I mean, how hard could it be?I think what kept me from it previously had been my fear of messing up in front of hundreds of people. I really had no excuse now. So I filled it out. And two days later I received an email about the position. I went in to meet with the Technical Director and began training. He did not expect me to know what I was doing, or to have any experience. He didn’t even seem to be annoyed that I had no clue what I was doing and acted like a ditzy blonde!

All this happened the week before Christmas. I volunteered for the Christmas Eve services at 4:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. That way I would have time to do an early Christmas Eve dinner with my mom. That day I got major stage fright. I was literally feeling sick to my stomach that I would screw something up in front of many seekers who may have decided to check out the church spur of the moment. I had sent an email to my boss stating my concerns. He wrote me back and the gist of what he said was that as long as I strove for excellence that was all that was expected. And that even if something went wrong, God can use any situation to reach others and maybe that is what was needed. I have never forgotten these words. And believe me, I do screw up. Quite often, in fact! But the staff never beats me over the head or gets mad about it. Ever. Oh and by the way, nothing went wrong during my Christmas services. Although I heard there were some demon spiders come out of the Christmas tree wreaking havoc at prior services!

Anyway, I guess my point is, don’t be afraid to get involved in ministry! There are so many opportunities and more than likely others will be quite willing and happy to train you! Don’t be afraid to branch out, out of your comfort zone. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I feel like I am truly in God’s will now and I’m never happier than when I am doing his work to support others in their experience with Him. After nearly 8 years, I have discovered my spiritual gifts (at least some of them). It takes trial and error but you have to be willing to step out and give it a try.

Anyway, that’s all for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment