Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Interpretation of Psalm 139


You have memorized each aspect of my being, Lord;

You know me through and through.
You see when I sink into my comfy chair to catch my breath,
And when I stretch to greet the morning sun.
Every thought that rushes through my brain, you capture and record in your Book of Life
You observe me rushing through the daily chores of life,
And when I collapse into my bed in exhaustion.
You know everything I will ever do.
When a word is but a thought,
You see it in the deep recesses of my mind.
You place your hand on the small of my back to guide me,
Yet it is there to hold me back from danger, also.
Your hand rests gently upon my head to remind me that you are there.
Knowing you accelerates my heart rate,
And butterflies flutter in my stomach because of Your great love.
Yet when I am rebellious, I try to turn from you,
But there is nowhere to go that I won’t be found.
You are like air, all around, everywhere, enveloping me in Your presence.
If I climb the highest mountain peak,
I am even closer to you in your heavens.
If I try to crawl into a pit of despair,
You find me, even there.
If I set out on an early morning trek,
You are already awake and waiting for me,
To join me on my excursion.
If I sail away on the farthest seas,
You lull me with the waves of your love.
No matter where I go,
You guide and protect me.
When I believe I’m well hidden under the weight of my sin,
You see the light in me that comes from loving you,
The perfect light that cannot be extinguished.
You created each intricate facet of me.
Before I had any knowledge of my being,
You knew exactly who I would one day become.
I am in awe of how you love me
And have planned my destiny.
How you so wonderfully made me.
How can I ever think badly of myself when I am
A reflection of you?
When I was not yet formed,
You infused me with the precise formula to make me
Who I would become in you.
You watched me grow,
And calendared each of my days according to your will.
You wrote the story of my life.
I stand amazed at how carefully planned I was by you,
From the beginning of time.
Your love is unfathomable.
Your dreams for me are too intricate  count
Please, Lord, protect me from all harm,
So I can continue to worship you, distraction-free.
Many mock my faith in you,
And slander your precious name.
But I will fight for you,
Even against those who entice wicked thoughts in me.
I will strive to convince them of your holy ways.
My enemies are many, but you are more.
Examine my heart, God,
Help me persevere as Job.
Yet I am afraid to ask you to sift me.
Can I hold up from your testing?
Weed out any wickedness from my soul,
And help me to follow you
Until I am called home.


No comments:

Post a Comment